While many foods are good and healthy for you, but some foods have special qualities and are designated as ‘superfood’. The term refers to food that’s high in health-promoting compounds and nutrients. But most importantly, has health benefits that are backed by research.
This is why avocados are deemed a superfood. They’re not just nutrient dense, but they are also a creamy, tasty compliment to many favorite menu items.
Why Avocados Are A Superfood
Need more proof? Here are four impressive reasons why avocados are a superfood that should be on your plate as often as possible.
1. They’re packed with heart-healthy fats. Although they’re often used as a vegetable, avocados are actually a fruit. However, unlike other fruits, they’re low in carbs and high in fat. Over 75% of their fat is “good fat” that’s linked with healthier cholesterol levels and a reduced risk of heart disease. The American Heart Association and the Dietary Guidelines both recommend eating more of these fats for better health.
2. Incredibly nutrient-dense. With only 80 calories, one serving of avocado (about 50 grams or 1/3 of an avocado) provides almost 20 different vitamins and minerals. Research shows that avocado eaters get more nutrients in their diet than those who don’t eat avocados.
3. Blood pressure friendly. The potassium in this tasty fruit helps to counter sodium in your diet and reduce your blood pressure. They’re also rich in inflammation-fighting compounds that promote healthier blood vessels and enhance blood flow throughout your body.
4. Great for your blood sugar. Unlike other fruits, avocados don’t contain any sugar. And their healthy fats and fiber actually help to stabilize your blood sugar and insulin levels after a meal.
Avocados are native to Mexico, and a distinctive part of the coastal-inspired flavors on our menu, so we use a lot of them at Jane’s Cafe. We include sliced avocados or our creamy fresh-made guacamole on many of the dishes on our menu. So, you get all the benefits of this delicious superfood, at no additional charge.
If you love enjoying avocados at home too, below is a super easy recipe to serve at your next gathering.
- 1 lb Hass Avocado
- 1/8 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp lime juice
You may also enjoy reading: Are Protein Bars Really Good For You?