The Easy Way To Make French Toast

You can learn how to make French toast without being a chef in a French cafe. In fact, the ingredients you’ll need are probably already in your fridge.

And you don’t have to be overly concerned about the type of bread to use. Actually, it’s better if it’s a little stale as that will stop the french toast from turning soggy. Plus, your finished dish will have a perfect consistency in addition to cutting down your food waste. Did you know that of the bread that makes it to U.S. markets each year, only 68 percent is consumed? The remaining 32 percent is either wasted in the kitchen or in the store.

That’s an enormous amount of waste, considering the high number of homelessness in just California alone.

How To Make French Toast

If you want to kick your dish up a notch, use brioche or challah bread to make french toast. When sliced thickly, they make a sturdy base. However, your classic white supermarket bread will do just fine also.

Use a slice of melting butter and a dribble of syrup for a tasty quick topping.

Here’s the recipe (serves 2):

  • 4 slices of bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • Pinch of salt
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
  • Butter and vegetable oil to fry


Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a dish large enough to fit a slice of bread in. Season with a little salt, then dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture.

Fry in a walnut sized amount of butter with a splash of vegetable oil. This helps to stop the butter from burning. Cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.

Serve fresh from the frying pan, or use your favorite toppings.

Here are a few ideas for toppings:

Make French Toast With A Tropical Topping

Top with a coconut yogurt. Some yogurt brands like Dannon, Yoplait and Chobani come with a tropical compote.

Summer Toppings

While summer has past for an array of fresh berries, you can buy frozen year round. So, enjoy your french toast with a dollop of greek yogurt and red berries. Strawberries and raspberries make this a delectable dish! And for a little extra indulgence, drizzle with maple syrup.

Of course, you can always order french toast from Jane’s Cafe in Mission Valley. If this sounds like too much of a project for you, we deliver to your door. Or you can pick up at our cafe in Mission Valley.

Leave a Reply